Michael J. Kaufman
Professor, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Director, Center for Advanced Non-Ferrous Structural Alloys
B.S. and Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Structure-property-processing relationships in metals, intermetallics and composites. Advanced characterization techniques including analytical and high resolution electron microscopy.
Michael Kaufman joins the CSM faculty as Professor of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering and Director of the Electron Microscopy Laboratory. He received his B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign and subsequently worked as a research engineer at the United Technologies Research Center where he also attended the University of Connecticut. He then returned to the University of Illinois for his Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering and subsequently worked for two years in the Metallurgy Division at the National Institute of Science and Technology (formerly NBS) in Gaithersburg, MD. Thereafter, he was appointed an Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Washington where he spent three years before joining the faculty in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Florida where he spent 14.5 years in various capacities including Associate Chair. Kaufman than relocated to the University of North Texas as Chair of their Materials Science and Engineering Department where he also served as interim director of UNT’s Center for Advanced Research and Technology. His primary research interests are in the area of structure-property-processing relationships in metals, intermetallics and composites, conventional and rapid solidification – all with an emphasis on characterization using advanced analytical techniques, particularly analytical and high resolution transmission electron microscopy. Dr. Kaufman has over 100 publications, has mentored 19 Ph.D. and 23 M.S. students and has managed research grants of over $5M from both federal sources (AFOSR, ONR, ARL, NSF, and DOE) and private companies (GM, Alcoa, GE, Howmet, etc.) He is a Fellow of ASM and a Professional Engineer.
1. M.L. Weaver and M.J. Kaufman, “Phase Relationships and Transformations in the Ternary Aluminum-Titanium-Tantalum System,” Acta Met. 43 (1995) 2625-2640.
2. M.L. Weaver, M.J. Kaufman, and R.D. Noebe, “Kinetics of Static Strain Aging in Polycrystalline NiAl-Based Alloys,” Intermetallics 4 (1996) 121-129.
3. A. Costa e Silva and M.J. Kaufman, “Applications of In-Situ Reactions to MoSi2-Based Materials,” Mats. Sci. & Engr. , A195 (1995) 75-88.
4. X.D. Zhang, Y.G. Li, M.J. Kaufman, and M.H. Loretto, “The Structure and Origin of Boundaries Between Antiphase Regions in L10 Intermetallics,” Acta Metall. et Mater., 44 (1996) 3735-3747.
5. X.D. Zhang, S. Godfrey, M.L. Weaver, M. Strangwood, P. Threadgill, M.J. Kaufman, and M.H. Loretto, “The Massive Transformation in Intermediate Ti-Al Alloys: Mechanistic Observations,” Acta Metall. et Mater., 44 (1996) 3723-3734.
6. M.L. Weaver, M.J. Kaufman, and R.D. Noebe, “Manifestations of Dynamic Strain Aging in Soft-Oriented NiAl Single Crystals,” Metall. Trans. A, 27A (1996) 3542-3557.
7. M.L. Weaver, R.D. Noebe, and M.J. Kaufman, “Observations of Static Strain Aging in Polycrystalline NiAl,” Intermetallics, 4 (1996) 533-542.
8. V.I. Levit, I.A. Bul, J. Hu, and M.J. Kaufman, “High Tensile Elongation of -NiAl Single Crystals at 293 K” Scripta Materialia, 34 (1996) 1925-1930.
9. T.T. Cheng, X.D. Zhang, Y.G. Li, M.J. Kaufman, I.P. Jones, and M.H. Loretto, “The Structure of Boundaries Between Antiphase Regions in TiAl-Based Alloys,” Phil. Mag. Letts.,74 (1996) 51-56.
10. R.E. Reed-Hill, C.V. Iswaran, and M.J. Kaufman, “An Analysis of the Flow Stress of a Two-Phase Alloy System,” Metall. and Mater. Trans. A, 47 (1996) 1-6.
11. S. Jayashankar and M.J. Kaufman, “Effect of Oxygen Content on the Superplastic Behavior of MoSi2/SiC Composites,” Advanced Synthesis and Processing of Composites and Advanced Ceramics II, published in Ceramics Transactions, 79, 163-173, 1996.
12. A.L. Costa e Silva and M.J. Kaufman, “Synthesis of MoSi2-Boride Composites Through In-Situ Displacement Reactions,” Intermetallics, 5 (1997) 1-15.
13. R.E. Reed-Hill, C.V. Iswaran, and M.J. Kaufman, “Influence of Interstitials on the Mechanical Properties of Metallic Materials,” Metall. and Mater. Trans. A, 27A (1996) 3524-3529.
14. A.L. Costa e Silva and M.J. Kaufman, “The Application of Thermodynamics to the In-situ Processing of Aluminum-modified MoSi2 Composites,” Z. Metallkd. 88 (1997) 854-865.
15. J.B. LeBleu, Jr., P.R. Mei, V.I. Levit, and M.J. Kaufman, “Tensile Properties of NiAl Bicrystals,” Scripta Materialia 38 (1998) 415-422.
16. Yu. N. Gornostyrev, V.V. Marchenkov, V.I. Levit, M. Kaufman and H.W. Weber, “Effect of Plastic Deformation on the Resistivity and Point-Defect Distribution in the Intermetallic Compound NiAl,” Physics of Metals and Metallography, 86 (1998) 371-376.
17. X.D. Zhang, J.M.K. Wiezorek, M.J. Kaufman, M.H. Loretto and H.L. Fraser, “Planar Defects in Massively Transformed Ti-Al Alloys,” Phil. Mag. Letters, 79 (1999) 519-530.
18. N. Bassim, C.S. Kiminami and M.J. Kaufman, “Phases Formed During Crystallization of Amorphous Al84Y9Ni5Co2 Alloy” J. Non-Crystalline Solids, 273 (2000) 271-276.
19. E.D. Wachsman, S. Boyapati and M.J. Kaufman, “Modeling of Ordered Structures of Phase-Stabilized Cubic Bismuth Oxides,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 83 (2000) 1964-1968.
20. N. Bassim, C.S. Kiminami, M.J. Kaufman, M.F. Oliveira, M.N.R.V. Perdigao, W.J. Botta Filho, “Crystallization Behavior of Amorphous Al84Y9Ni5Co2 Alloy,” Mat. Sci. Eng. A304-306 (2001) pp. 332-337.
21. C.R.M. Afonso, C. Bolfarini, C.S. Kiminami, M.J. Kaufman, M.F, Amateau, T.J. Eden, and J.M. Galbraith, “Amorphous Phase Formation During Spray Forming of Al84Y3Ni8Co4Zr1 Alloy, J. Non-Crystalline Solids, 284 (2001) 134-138.
22. M.F. de Oliveira, W.J. Botta, M.J. Kaufman and C.S. Kiminami, “Phases Formed During Crystallization of Zr55Al10Ni5Cu30 Metallic Glass Containing Oxygen”, J. Non-Crystalline Solids, 304 (2002) 51-55.
23. Y.W. Heo, V. Varadarajan, M.J. Kaufman, K. Kim, D.P. Norton, F. Ren and P.H. Fleming, “Site-Specific Growth of ZnO Nanorods Using Catalysis-Driven Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Applied Physics Letters, 81 (2002) 3046-3048.
24. Otubo, J.; Nascimento, F.C.; Mei, P.R.; Cardoso, L.P. and Kaufman, M. “Influence of Austenite Grain Size on Mechanical Properties of Stainless Shape Memory Alloy”. Materials Transactions, 43 (2002) 916-919.
25. H. Kim, M.J. Kaufman, W.M. Sigmund, D. Jacques and R. Andrews, “Observation and Formation Mechanism of Stable Face-Centered-Cubic Nanorods in Carbon Nanotubes”, J. Materials Research, 18 (2003) 1104-1108.
26. Matthew J. Olszta, Sivakumar Gajjeraman, Michael J. Kaufman and Laurie B. Gower, “Nano-Fibrous Calcite Synthesized via a Solution-Precursor-Solid (SPS) Mechanism”, Chemistry of Materials, 16 (2004) 2355-2362.
27. G Lvov, V.I. Levit, and M.J. Kaufman, “Mechanism of Primary MC Carbide Decomposition in Ni-Base Superalloys”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, 35A (2004) 1669-1679.
28. Matthew J. Olszta, Sivakumar Gajjeraman, Michael Kaufman and Laurie B. Gower, “Nanofibrous Calcite Synthesized via a Solution Precursor-Solid Mechanism”, Chem. Mater. 16 (2004) 2355-2362.
29. Hansoo Kim, Michael Kaufman and Wolfgang Sigmund “Phase Transition of Iron inside Carbon Nanotubes under Electron Irradiation” Journal of Materials Research 19, 1835 (2004)
30. G.K. Sigworth, J. Howell, O. Rios and M.J. Kaufman, “Heat Treatment of Natural Aging Aluminum Casting Alloys”, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, 18 (2005) 1-8.
31. P.D. Eason and M.J. Kaufman, “Impurity Effects on the Environmental Stability of Powder Processed Alumino-Silicide Compounds”, J. Mater. Research, 20 (2005) 2691-2704.
32. G.K. Sigworth, J. Howell, O. Rios and M.J. Kaufman, “Heat Treatment of Natural Aging Aluminum Casting Alloys”, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, 19 (2006) 123-129.
33. D. Diercks, M. Kaufman, J.W. Weijtmans, R. Wise, R.B. Irwin, A. Jain and L. Robertson, “Convergent Beam Electron Diffraction Measurements of Lattice Strain in Strained Silicon – Higher Order Laue Zone Line Splitting and Relaxation”, submitted to Applied Physics Letters, Fall, 2006.
34. J. Hwang, H.D. Doty and M.J. Kaufman, “High Resolution TEM Study of Heterogeneously Nucleated ‘ Phase in Al-Si-Cu-Mg Alloys”, in preparation, 2007.
35. Anantha Puthucode, Rajarshi Banerjee, Suman Vadlakonda, Reza Mirshams* and Michael J. Kaufman, “Incipient Plasticity and Shear Band Formation in Bulk Metallic Glass Studied Using Indentation”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, 2007 (in press).
36. J. Hwang, H.D. Doty and M.J. Kaufman, “Microstructural Evolution in Si-modified 319 Type Aluminum Alloys”, Materials Science and Engineering, (in press).
37. J. Hwang, H.D. Doty and M.J. Kaufman, “The Effects of Mn Additions on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Al 319 Alloys”, in preparation, 2006.
38. M.J. Kaufman and V.I. Levit: “Characterization of Chromium Boride Precipitates in the Commercial Superalloy GTD-111 After Long-Term Exposure”, to be submitted to Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, Oct. 2007
39. A. Puthucode, E. Stenmark, O. Rios, R.D. Noebe and M. J. Kaufman, “Identification of a New Phase in the Ti-Ni-Pt System”, to be submitted to Materials Science an d Engineering, October, 2007.