Daniel M. Knauss
Associate Dean of Energy and Materials
Professor, Department of Chemistry
Polymer and materials chemistry is a vibrant area of research key to continued technological progress particularly in the areas of nanomaterials and nanotechnology. Research in the Knauss Group is dedicated to the study of macromolecular chemistry and characterization of new materials and the development of their application. Current research interests include: the synthesis of new types of polymers, the control of polymer architecture and functionalization, and the study of new reaction mechanisms through monomer and polymer synthesis. The types of applications include polymeric photovoltaics, packaging using polymers from renewable resources, fuel cell membranes, and water purification. Research has been funded in recent years by the NSF, EPA, PRF, Kraton Polymers, DOE, AFOSR, and ARO.
158 Coolbaugh Hall
(303) 273 3625
Fax: (303) 273 3629
Labs and Research Centers
- BS – The Pennsylvania State University
- PhD – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Postdoctoral Study – École Polytechnic Fédérale de Lausanne
Dan Knauss Google Scholar
- Derek Strasser, Brendan Graziano and Daniel M. Knauss, Base Stable Poly(diallylpiperidinium Hydroxide) Multiblock Copolymers for Anion Exchange Membrane, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 2017, 5 (20), 9627-9640.
- Himanshu N. Sarode, Yuan Yang, Andrew R. Motz, Yifan Li, Daniel Michael Knauss, Soenke Seifert, and Andrew M Herring, Understanding Anion, Water, and Methanol Transport in A Polyethylene-b-poly(vinylbenzyl trimethyl ammonium) Copolymer Anion Exchange Membrane for Electrochemical Applications, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2017, 121(4), 2035–2045
- Adam M. Kortan, Randall J. Cannizzaro, Maxwell J. Robb, Daniel M. Knauss, Poly(Ether sulfone)s Using a Rigid Dibenzothiophene Dioxide Heterocycle, J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem., 2016, 54, 3127–3131.
- Feilong Liu and Daniel M. Knauss, Sulfonated Poly(meta-phenylene isophthalamide)s as Proton Exchange Membranes, J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem., 2016, 54, 2582-2592.
- Tara P. Pandey, Himanshu N. Sarode, Yating Yang, Keti Vezzu, Vito Di Noto, Soenke Seifert, Daniel M. Knauss, Matthew Liberatorre, and Andrew M. Herring, A Highly Hydroxide Conductive, Chemically Stable Anion Exchange Membrane, Poly(2,6 dimethyl 1,4 phenylene oxide)-b-Poly(vinyl benzyl trimethyl ammonium), for Electrochemical Applications, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2016, 163(7) H513-H520.
- Dilanji B. Wijayasekara, Tianzi Huang, Jacqueline M. Richardson, Daniel M. Knauss, and Travis S. Bailey, The Role of Architecture in the Melt-State Self-Assembly of (Polystyrene)star-b-(Polyisoprene)linear-b-(Polystyrene)star Pom-Pom Triblock Copolymers, Macromolecules, 2016, 49(2), 595–608.
- M. A. Vandiver, B. R. Caire, T. P. Pandey, Y. Li, S. Seifert, A. Kusoglu, D. M. Knauss, A. M. Herring, M. W. Liberatore, Effect of Hydration on the Mechanical Properties and Ion Conduction in a Polyethylene-b-poly(vinylbenzyl trimethylammonium) Anion Exchange Membrane, J. Membrane Sci., 2016, 497, 67-76.
- Yifan Li; Ye Liu; Frederick Beyer; Alice Savage; Soenke Seifert; Andrew M. Herring; Daniel M. Knauss, Polyethylene-Based Block Copolymers for Anion Exchange Membrane, Macromolecules, 2015, 48, 6523-6533.
- Yating Yang, D.M. Knauss, Diblock Copolymers of Poly(2,6-dimethyl-1,4-phenylene oxide)-b-poly(vinylbenzyltrimethylammonium) for Anion Exchange Membranes, Macromolecules, 2015, 48, 4471-80.
- Himanshu N Sarode, Tara Prasad Pandey, Yuan Yang, Daniel M. Knauss, E. Bryan Coughlin, Matthew W Liberatore, Andrew M Herring, Hydroxide Transport in Next Generation Anion Exchange Resins, ECS Transactions, 2015, 69 (17) 363-367.
- Y. Li, A.M. Herring, D. M. Knauss, Amphiphilic Block Copolymer Containing Quaternary Ammonium Cation for Anion Exchange Membrane, ECS Transactions, 2014 59(1): 307-313.
- Y. Li, AC Jackson, FL Beyer, DM Knauss, Poly (2, 6-dimethyl-1, 4-phenylene oxide) Blended with Poly (vinylbenzyl chloride)-b-polystyrene for the Formation of Anion Exchange Membranes, Macromolecules, 2014, 47(19) 6757-6767.
- K. McNamee, L. M. Pitet, D. M. Knauss, Synthesis, Assembly, And Cross-Linking Of Polymer Amphiphiles In-Situ: Polyurethane–Polylactide Core-Shell Particles, Polymer Chemistry, 2013, 4(8), 2546-2555.
- N.T. Rebeck, Y. Li, D. M. Knauss, Poly(phenylene oxide) Copolymer Anion Exchange Membranes, J. Polym. Sci., Part B: Polymer Physics, 2013, 51(24), 1770-172.