Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry
- BS – National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”, Ukraine
- MS – National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”, Ukraine
- PhD – University of New Mexico, Chemistry
- Postdoctoral study – University of New Mexico, Chemical & Nuclear Engineering; Colorado School of Mines, Materials & Metallurgical Engineering
Many important chemical processes occur at the material surface and therefore understanding surface composition and structure of materials is important for many applications. Our group investigates surfaces and interfaces of functional materials including catalysts, polymers, semiconductors and metals targeting a wide range of applications. We focus on building relationships between surface composition and structure, materials properties and their performance with the eventual goal to design next generation of materials which provide high efficiency at the fraction of the cost. Significant efforts of our team are dedicated to development of cost-effective materials for alternative energy applications.
- S.M. Alia, S. Pylypenko, K.C. Neyerlin, D.A. Cullen, S.S. Kocha and B.S. Pivovar, Platinum-Coated Nickel Nanowires as Oxygen-Reducing Electrocatalysts, ACS Catalysis, 4 (8), 2680-2686, 2014
- P. Joghee, S. Pylypenko, K. Wood, G. Bender, R. O’Hayre, High performance alkaline direct methanol fuel cell employing a nitrogen post-doped PtRu/C anode, ChemSusChem, 7 (7), 1854-1857, 2014
- M. Joglekar, S. Pylypenko, M.M. Otting, J.S. Valenstein, and Brian G. Trewyn, Universal and Versatile Route for Selective Covalent Tethering of Single-Site Catalysts and Functional Groups on the Surface of Ordered Mesoporous Carbons, Chemistry of Materials, 26 (9), 2873-2882, 2014
- K. Wood, R. O’Hayre and S. Pylypenko, Recent progress on nitrogen/carbon structures designed for use in energy and sustainability applications, Energy Environ. Sci., 7, 1212-1249, 2014
- J. E. Hensley, S. Pylypenko, D. A. Ruddy, Deactivation and stability of K-CoMoSx mixed alcohol synthesis catalysts, Journal of Catalysis, 309, 199, 2014
- A. R. Corpuz, K. N. Wood, S. Pylypenko, A. A Dameron, P. Joghee, T.S. Olson, G. Bender, H. Dinh, T. Gennett, R. Richards, R. O’Hayre, Effect of nitrogen post-doping on a commercial platinum–ruthenium/carbon anode catalyst, Journal of Power Sources, 248, 296, 2014.
- D. A. Ruddy, O. G. Reid, B. M. Leonard, S. Pylypenko, N. R. Neale, Non-aqueous thermolytic route to oxynitride photomaterials using molecular precursors Ti(OtBu)4 and NMo(OtBu)3 Ti, J. Mater Chem A, 1, 14066-14070, 2013
- S. Pylypenko, A. Borisevich, K.L. More, A.R. Corpuz, T. Holme, A.A. Dameron, T. Olson, H.N. Dinh, T. Gennett, R. O’Hayre, Nitrogen: unraveling the secret to stable carbon-supported Pt-alloy electrocatalysts, Energy Environ. Sci., 2013, cover of October issue
- K. Artyushkova, S. Pylypenko, M. Dowlapalli, P. Atanassov, Use of digital image processing of microscopic images and multivariate analysis for quantitative correlation of morphology, activity and durability of electrocatalysts, Rsc Adv., 2, 4304, 2012
- S. Pylypenko, A. Queen, T.S. Olson, A. Dameron, K. O’Neill, K.C. Neyerlin, B. Pivovar, H.N. Dinh, D.S. Ginley, T. Gennett and R. O’Hayre, Tuning carbon-based fuel cell catalyst support structures via nitrogen functionalization. II. investigation of durability of Pt-Ru nanoparticles supported on highly oriented pyrolytic graphite model catalyst supports as a function of nitrogen implantation dose, J Phys Chem C, 115 (28), 13676-13684, 2011, cover of July issue.
- Y. Zhou, K. Neyerlin, T.S. Olson, S. Pylypenko, J. Bult, H.N. Dinh, T. Gennett, Z. Shao and R. O’Hayre, Enhancement of Pt and Pt-alloy fuel cell catalyst activity and durability via nitrogen-modified carbon supports, Energy Environ Sci., 3, 1437-1446, 2010
T.S. Olson, S. Pylypenko and P. Atanassov; K. Asazawa, K. Yamada and H. Tanaka, Anion-Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells: Dual-Site Mechansim of Oxygen Reduction Reaction in Alkaline Media on Cobalt-Polypyrrole Electrocatalysts, J. Phys. Chem. C., 114, 5049-5059, 2010
- F. Jaouen, J. Herranz, M. Lefèvre, J.P. Dodelet; U.I. Kramm, I. Herrmann, P. Bogdanoff ; J. Maruyama, T. Nagaoka; A. Garsuch, J.R. Dahn; T.S. Olson, S. Pylypenko, P. Atanassov; E.A. Ustinov, A Cross-laboratory Experimental Study of Non-noble-metal Electrocatalysts for the Oxygen Reduction reaction, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces.,1, 1623-1639, 2009
S. Pylypenko, S. Mukherjee, T.S. Olson and P. Atanassov, Non-platinum electrocatalysts based on pyrolyzed transition metal macrocycles, Electrochim. Acta, 53, 7875-7883, 2008