Mohsen Asle Zaeem
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Mohsen Asle Zaeem is a tenured associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Colorado School of Mines since August 2018. Prior to joining Mines, he was the Roberta and G. Robert Couch Assistant Professor, and later promoted to tenured associate professor in Materials Science & Engineering at Missouri University of Science & Technology (Rolla). Dr. Asle Zaeem received his B.S. (2003) and M.S. (2006) in Mechanical Engineering from Shiraz University, and his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Washington State University (2010). In 2010, Dr. Asle Zaeem joined the Center for advanced Vehicular Systems in Mississippi State University as a postdoctoral research associate, and in 2011 he was prompted to a research assistant professor.
Dr. Asle Zaeem has published more than 60 peer-reviewed journal articles in prestigious journals. He has severed as an editor of Journal of Metals and a member of the editorial board of Mathematical Problems in Engineering and International Journal of Materials Engineering and Technology. Dr. Asle Zaeem is a member of different technical committees of TMS, ASME and ASM, including Integrated Computational Materials Engineering, Solidification, Phase Transformation, Materials Properties Database, Diversity, Computing in Applied Mechanics, and Manufacturing Engineering Committees. Dr. Asle Zaeem is the recipient of the 2017 TMS-FEMS Young Leader International Scholar Award, 2016 Faculty Research Excellence Award of Missouri S&T, 2016 Certificate of Highly Cited Research in Computational Materials Science (Elsevier), 2015 and 2017 Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing from Acta Materialia, 2017 IOP Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2015 TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award, 2015 Junior Faculty Award from Mines and Metallurgy Academy, and 2015 ACS New Investigator Award.
- Thomas, S., Kulangara Madam, A., Asle Zaeem, M. “Stone-Wales Defect Induced Performance Improvement of BC3 Monolayer for High Capacity Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Anode Applications.” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 124(11):5910–5919 (2020).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Nanoscale Flaw Tolerance Behaviour of Polycrystalline Tetragonal Zirconia Nanopillars.” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 173:105405 (2020).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Effects of Grain Orientations and Pre-Existing Defects on Mechanical Properties and Deformation Mechanisms of Polycrystalline Yttria-Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia.” Materialia 9:100553 (2020).
- Kavousi, S., Novak, B. R., Baskes, M. I., Asle Zaeem, M., Moldovan, D. “Modified Embedded-Atom Method Potential for High-Temperature Crystal-Melt Properties of Ti–Ni Alloys and Its Application to Phase Field Simulation of Solidification.” Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 28:015006 (2020).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Effects of Twin Boundaries and Pre-Existing Defects on Mechanical Properties and Deformation Mechanisms of Yttria-Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia.” Journal of the European Ceramics Society 40:108–114 (2020).
- Tavakoli, E., Kakekhani, A., Kaviani, S., Tan, P., Mohammadi Ghaleni, M., Asle Zaeem, M., Rappe, A., Nejati, S. “In Situ Bottom-Up Synthesis of Porphyrin-Based Covalent Organic Frameworks.” Journal of the American Chemical Society 141:19560–19564 (2019).
- Hou, H., Simsek, E., Ma, T., Johnson, N. S., Qian, S., Cissé, C., Stasak, D., Al Hasan, N., Zhou, L., Hwang, Y., Radermacher, R., Levitas, V. I., Kramer, M. J., Asle Zaeem, M., Stebner, A. P., Ott, R. T., Cui, J., Takeuchi, I. “Fatigue-Resistant High-Performance Elastocaloric Materials Made by Additive Manufacturing.” Science 366(6469):1116–1121 (2019).
- Hong, Y., Beyramali Kivy, M., Asle Zaeem, M. “Competition Between Formation of Al2O3 and Cr2O3 in Oxidation of Al0.3CoCrCuFeNi High Entropy Alloy: A First-Principles Study.” Scripta Materialia 168:139–143 (2019).
- Mahata, A., Asle Zaeem, M. “Size Effect in Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Nucleation Process During Solidification of Pure Metals: investigating Modified Embedded Atom Method Interatomic Potentials.” Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 27:085015 (2019).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Nanoscale Self-Healing Mechanisms in Shape Memory Ceramics.” npj Computational Materials, 5:54 (2019).
- Mahata, A., Asle Zaeem, M. “Effects of Solidification Defects on Nanoscale Mechanical Properties of Rapid Directionally Solidified Al-Cu Alloys: A Large Scale Molecular Dynamics Study.” Journal of Crystal Growth 527:125255 (2019).
- Aslam, I., Baskes, M. I., Dickel, D. E., Adibi, S., Li, B., Rhee, H., Asle Zaeem, M., Horstemeyer, M. F. “Thermodynamic and Kinetic Behavior of Low-Alloy Steels: An Atomic Level Study Using an Fe-Mn-Si-C Modified Embedded Atom Method (MEAM) Potential.” Materialia 8:100473 (2019).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Effects of Crystal Orientation and Pre-Existing Defects on Nanoscale Mechanical Properties of Yttria-Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia Thin Films.” JOM 71:3869–3875 (2019).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Understanding Specimen- and Grain-Size Effects on Nanoscale Plastic Deformation Mechanisms and Mechanical Properties of Polycrystalline Yittria-Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia Nanopillars.” European Journal of Mechanics / A Solids, 76:70–80 (2019).
- Mahata, A., Asle Zaeem, M. “Evolution of Solidification Defects in Deformation of Nano-Polycyrstalline Aluminum.” Computational Materials Science 163:176-185 (2019).
- Beyramali Kivy, M., Hong, Y., Asle Zaeem, M. “A Review of Multiscale Computational Modeling Tools for Predicting Structures and Properties of Multi-Principle Element Alloys.” Metals 9(2), 254 (2019).
- Kavousi, S., Noval, B. R., Asle Zaeem, M., Moldovan, D. “Combined Molecular Dynamics and Phase Field Simulation Investigations of Highly Undercooled Titanium.” Computational Materials Science 163:218–229 (2019).
- Asle Zaeem, M., Zhang, N., Mamivand, M. “A Review of Computational Modeling Techniques in Study and Design of Shape Memory Ceramics.” Computational Materials Science 160:120–136 (2019).
- Emdadi, A., Fahrenholtz, W. G., Hilmas, G. E., Asle Zaeem, M. “A Modified Phase-Field Model for Quantitative Simulation of Crack Propagation in Single-Phase and Multi-Phase Materials.” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 200:339–354 (2018).
- Zhang, N., Hong, Y., Yazdanparast, S., Asle Zaeem, M. “Superior Structural, Elastic and Electronic Properties of 2D Titanium Nitride MXenes over Carbide MXenes: A Comprehensive First Principles Study.” 2D Materials 5:045004 (2018).
- Beyramali Kivi, M., Kriewall, C. S., Asle Zaeem, M. “Formation of Chromium-Iron Carbide by Carbon Diffusion in AlxCoCrFeNiCu High Entropy Alloys.” Materials Research Letters 6:321–326 (2018).
- Mahata, A., Asle Zaeem, M., Baskes, M. I. “Understanding Homogeneous Nucleation in Solidification of Aluminum by Molecular Dynamics Simulations.” Modeling and Simulations in Materials Science and Engineering 26:025007 (2018).
- Cao, X, Hong, Y., Zhang, N., Chen, Q., Masud, J., Asle Zaeem, M., Nath, M. “Phase Exploration and Identification of Multinary Transition-Metal Selenides as High-Efficiency Oxygen Evolution Electrocatalysts Through Combinatorial Electrodeposition.” ACS Catalysis 8:8273–8289 (2018).
- Hong, Y., Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Metastable Phase Transformation and Deformation Twinning Induced Hardening-Stiffening Mechanism in Compression of Silicon Nanoparticles.” Acta Materialia 145:8–18 (2018).
- Mukhopadhyay, T., Mahata, A., Adhikari, S., Asle Zaeem, M. “Probing the Shear Modulus of Two-Dimensional Multiplanar Nanostructures and Heterostructures.” Nanoscale 10:5280–5294 (2018).
- De Silva, U., Masud, J., Zhang, N., Hong, Y., Liyanage, W. P. R., Asle Zaeem, M., Nath, M. “Nickel Telluride as a Bifunctional Electrocatalyst for Efficient Water Splitting in Alkaline Medium.” Journal of Materials Chemistry A 6:7608–7622 (2018).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Role of Grain Boundaries in Determining Strength and Plastic Deformation of Yttria-Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia Bicrystals.” Journal of Materials Science 53(8):5706–5718 (2018).
- Beyramalikivi, M., Asle Zaeem, M. “Generalized Stacking Fault Energies, Ductilities, and Twinnabilities of CoCrFeNi-Based Face-Centered Cubic High Entropy Alloys.” Scripta Materialia 139:83–86 (2017).
- Xiao, W., Asle Zaeem, M., Day, D. E., Rahaman, M. “Finite Element Modeling of the Flexural Mechanical Response of Polymer-Coated Bioactive Glass Scaffolds Composed of Thermally-Bonded Unidirectional Fibers.” Biomedical Glasses 3:86–95 (2017).
- Mukhopadhyay, T., Mahata, A., Adhikari, S., Asle Zaeem, M.. “Effective Mechanical Properties of Multilayer Nano-Heterostructures.” Scientific Reports 7:15818 (2017).
- Zhang, N., Asle Zaeem, M. “Effects of Specimen Size and Y2O3 Content on Mechanical Properties of Single Crystalline Yttria-Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia Nanopillars.” Journal of Applied Physics 122:014302 (2017).
- Beyramalikivi, M., Asle Zaeem, M., Lekakh, S. “Investigating Phase Formations in Casting of AlFeCoNiCu High Entropy Alloys by Combination of Computational Modeling and Experiments.” Materials and Design 127:224–232 (2017).
- Bair, J., Asle Zaeem, M., Schwen, D. “Formation Path of δ Hydrides in Zirconium by Multiphase Field Modeling.” Acta Materialia 123:235–244 (2017).
- Xiao, W., Asle Zaeem, M., Li, G., Bal, B. S., Rahaman, M. “Tough and Strong Porous Bioactive Glass-PLA Composites for Structural Bone Repair.” Journal of Materials Science special issue 15 (2017).
- Mukhopadhyay, T., Mahata, A., Adhikari, S., Asle Zaeem, M. “Effective Elastic Properties of Two Dimensional Multiplanar Hexagonal Nano-Structures.” 2D Materials 4:025006 (2017).
- Asadi, E., Asle Zaeem, M. “Quantitative Phase-Field Crystal Modeling of Solid-Liquid Interfaces for FCC Metals.” Computational Materials Science 127:236–243 (2017).
- Al Attar, A. A., Asle Zaeem, M., Ajeel, S. A., Abdul Latiff, N. E. “Effects of SiC, SiO2 and CNTs Nanoadditives on the Properties of Porous Alumina-Zirconia Ceramics Produced by a Hybrid Freeze Casting-Space Holder Method.” Journal of European Ceramics Society 37:1635–1642 (2017).
See more in Google Scholar